OpenStreetMap US Travel Grant Policy
The OpenStreetMap US Board of Directors encourages its members to promote, socialize, and further the mission of OpenStreetMap US. We have therefore established the following Travel Grant Policy that allows members to apply for an OSM US Grant to cover travel and related expenses. Please carefully read the requirements and procedures detailed below to apply for a grant.
- You must have been a paid up OpenStreetMap US member for at least 6 months at the time of the request
- You must be a member in good standing at the time the event takes place
- You have an active and significant presence at the event: presenting, organizing a panel, leading a workshop, etc
- The event and your participation therein must be publicized ahead of time.
- The event must be open to the public.
- The Grant covers no more than 1000 USD
- Nightly hotel rates should conform to GSA guidelines
- Transportation should be booked in coach / economy class only. Any upgrades are the responsibility of the recipient.
- The Grant covers transportation and hotel only. No meals, entertainment, or other ancillary expenses
- You will submit a report, covering an evaluation of your participation, relations established, follow ups, and a recommendation for future participation if it is a recurring event. The report must also include photos that give a good overall visual impression of the event.
- You agree to (co-) author a blog post about your participation for the OpenStreetMap US blog
The decision to grant or deny your request is entirely at the discretion of the Board of Directors
You can apply for an OSM US Travel Grant by emailing your proposal to email@example.com
Your proposal should include:
- Information about the event, including a link to their web site mentioning your participation
- The amount you are applying for, based on your documented best estimates
- Details about your participation and how you believe this participation supports and furthers OSM US’s mission
You will recieve approval/denial from the Board of Directors within 7 business days.
After the event, follow these steps within 7 business days to recieve your reimbursement.
- Submit your event report and any event photographs to the Board of Directors
- Coordindate with the Board of Directors to author and publish your blog post
- Fill out the reimbursement form and attach all applicable reciepts.
You will be reimbursed for the pre-approved expenses within 14 business days.