OpenStreetMap US Jobs
Jump straight to information about applying!
OpenStreetMap US seeks a new, full-time Executive Director to be a part of our continued mission and growth! OpenStreetMap US aims to broaden the reach and diversity of the OpenStreetMap community and increase the use and improve the quality of our map data. As Executive Director, you will work closely with the Board to move these goals forward and provide strategic vision to further the organization’s mission.
The duties of the Executive Director cover a broad scope, encompassing organizational program and strategy, as well as fundraising, finance, and marketing. This role will require a high degree of flexibility and creativity, and a collaborative and inventive orientation. The successful candidate will be mission-driven and passionate about the idea of creating and applying open, accurate geospatial data for the world.
This is a unique leadership position within the open source mapping and open geographic data communities. OpenStreetMap US is one of the largest user communities of the OpenStreetMap project, and as the Executive Director you will have a chance to make a difference at the local, national, and international level. This is a role with ample room for growth and creativity, and the successful candidate will come from a diversity of backgrounds. We encourage you to apply!
Essential Job functions (Roles & Responsibilities)
- Organizational development and vision
- Work with the OpenStreetMap US board and community to more clearly articulate the vision and forward direction of OpenStreetMap US;
- Chart a path from the current all-volunteer-led organization to a staffed and sustainable nonprofit that will continue to manifest and scale the larger OpenStreetMap project mission in the US context, and support and empower the OpenStreetMap-US community;
- Facilitate an increasingly positive, inclusive, and healthy organizational culture
- Program Leadership
- Oversee and sustainably grow the annual State of the Map US conference and other existing programs including TeachOSM;
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of new programs
- Communications and engagement
- Collaboratively craft and amplify organizational narrative that raises the profile and visibility OpenStreetMap US and invites broader and more active participation;
- Be an advocate for OpenStreetMap in the US and serve as the primary spokesperson to constituents, the media and the general public;
- Develop a long-term plan to reach key organizations, academic institutions, governments, private companies, and individuals that can help OpenStreetMap US grow;
- Oversee and delegate management and maintenance of online channels including web site, social media, and email lists;
- Lead fundraising initiatives to ensure the financial health of OpenStreetMap US
- Develop new and relevant revenue streams to further bolster and diversify organizational sustainability
- Community Health and Network Development
- Strengthen the identity of OpenStreetMap US by providing an active voice and developing visibility within the OpenStreetMap US volunteer community
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the OpenStreetMap US mission.
- Build a stronger, more diverse and inclusive community, with a focus on establishing equity in the community for under-represented groups.
- Organizational Operations
- Oversee and manage legal, financial and other operational aspects of the nonprofit organization, including budgeting, accounting, HR, payroll, and logistics.
- Board Governance
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to develop an operational strategic plan, including a refined vision, goals, and objectives.
- Organize and oversee Board and other committee meetings, and provide the information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Excitement and passion for the mission of OpenStreetMap!
- Ability to sustain positive and constructive organizational and community environment
- Deep and operable understanding of the open source and free culture communities;
- Leadership experience in nonprofit and/or free/open technology projects;
- Results-oriented with the ability to motivate others while maintaining an inclusive, collaborative and transparent leadership style;
- Ability to communicate and partner effectively with diverse groups of people;
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated success leading peers in increasingly responsible positions;
- Experience developing strategic program, financial and operational plans;
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and community relations unique to the open sector;
- Strong grasp of technology and data concepts that underpin OpenStreetMap as a platform and a global technology
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Excellent communication (written & oral) and public speaking skills;
- Ability to take a holistic approach at managing the organization’s operations;
Compensation, Benefits and Location
The Executive Director role is ideally based in the United States with some program-related travel.
The salary for this full time position will be commensurate with experience, including fundraising expertise and demonstrated effectiveness in organizational management.
The position also comes with a competitive benefits package, to be formalized by the Executive Director as an near-term task of their tenure.
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining why this is the right job for you, why you are the right candidate for the job, any ways in which you have participated in the field of open mapping to date, and what you are excited to work on as OpenStreetMap US’ first Executive Director
- A current CV or resume
The above documents can be submitted via this form.
For any questions, or if you prefer to submit your application in a different manner, please contact us at email@example.com with “OSM US Executive Director” included in the subject line.
This job posting will be administered on a rolling basis, and the position filled subject to OpenStreetMap US receiving suitable applications.
About OpenStreetMap US
OpenStreetMap US is the non-profit organization that operates OpenStreetMap data and programs in the United States. OpenStreetMap US is committed to creating a robust open geo community and dataset. Learn more about what is happening at OpenStreetMap US on our blog.
OpenStreetMap US is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. No applicant for employment shall be subjected to discrimination because of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, disability, age, reprisal for engaging in anti-discrimination activities, protected genetic information, sexual orientation or parental status.